Immediately after the implant procedure, you may have swelling which will get resolved within 48 hours. You may put ice pack wrapped in a towel and hold it for 10 minutes and then give break for 20 minutes. After 24 hours gentle heat can give you some relief. Use 2 or 3 pillows while sleeping.
Usually after dental implants there may be little pain, discomfort or soreness which will continue for few days. Few simple analgesics may be taken for 2 days. However, if you still experience the same after 2 days then you can call your doctor.
What are the various aftercare?
Following precautions and aftercare must be followed after the dental implant procedure is completed.
- For next 24 hours after the procedure is done, you must avoid rinsing your mouth.
- If you are a smoker then you must remember that there is likelihood of failure of the procedure, if you continue with your habit immediately after the procedure. In case you are planning to quit smoking then you can talk to your dentist. Till your wound is completely healed you are not permitted to smoke at all.
- Avoid keeping any foodstuff nearby area and try to keep your surrounding area much clean as possible.
- For next couple of weeks restrict your diet by taking liquid diets like soups or any other soft foods.
- Avoid taking alcoholic drinks for at least a week after the procedure so that your gum may get properly healed.
- Your stitches will be removed one to two weeks after the procedure. There will be some bleeding, which can be stopped by using cotton or any other gauge material. If the bleeding continues then you can call the doctor.
- In case you had graft then small granules may appear in your mouth. If doctors have given any antibiotics then you must complete its full course.
- In case, your pain and swelling increases after three to four days then you must inform the doctor for review.
- Keep your mouth as much clean as possible
- Clean all other teeth regularly and leave the area where implantation procedure has been done.
- If the tenderness in the implanted area is reduced after 2 days then you may clean that area too.
- Use all mouthwash products that are recommended by your doctor and don’t use any other products.
- Do not use electric toothbrush or jet water in your mouth.
- Hot saline water may be useful for first week.